Clark/Morse/Glenwood Special Service Area #24
Clark/Morse/Glenwood Special Service Area (SSA) #24 includes Clark Street from Birchwood Avenue to Albion Avenue, Morse Avenue from Sheridan Road to Clark Street and Glenwood Avenue from Greenleaf Avenue to Pratt Avenue. The SSA has provided programs and services in the commercial district since 2004.
SSA #24 Provides:
- Accessibility: In 2011, we installed 6 BigBell Max Alert Systems to help businesses become accessible to people with disabilities as part of the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) compliance.
- Advertising and Promotion: We develop promotions, campaigns and business retention and attraction materials.
- Business Improvement Program (BIP): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the SSA by providing financial and technical assistance to the owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $5,000 on improvements made to their façade. Download the application here.
- Marketing: We market the business districts within the SSA #24 by organizing and providing funding to events and public art programs such as Celebrate Clark Street World Music Festival, Glenwood Sunday Market, Glenwood Avenue Arts Festival and Mile of Murals.
- Outreach: We visit businesses within the SSA to provide technical assistance and ensure that business owners are aware of all the programs, services and resources available to them.
- Public Art: The SSA runs the Mile of Murals project on Glenwood Ave. between Prat and Estes. The project’s intention is to nurture, promote, and celebrate the arts-centered identity of Rogers Park. In addition, the SSA has sponsor murals on Clark St. as part of the Vision Clark Street Master Plan, more info here.
- Public Way Aesthetics: We mulch, weed and plant seasonal plantings. In addition, we install holiday decorations, maintain street pole banners and purchase streetscape elements, as needed.
- Public Way Maintenance: We regularly conduct field checks of the public way and maintain the Big Belly Solar Trash Compactors and planters.
- Small Business Improvement Fund (SBIF): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the Tax Increment Financing District by providing financial advice and technical assistance to the owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $150,000 on improvements made to their building/business.
- Tenant Retention/Attraction: We hold business attraction workshops and give presentations to recruit new businesses to the commercial corridors and support current businesses. We also provide technical assistance to businesses and property owners including on-site visits.
All Special Service Area Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor and determine the budget, workplan and sole service provider each year.
Chris Johnson (Chair) – Property owner
Wallace Andersen (Vice Chair) – Staff; Rogers Park Social
Al Golberg (Treasurer) – Property owner
Allen Smith – Property owner
Ilesa Duncan – Artistic Director; Lifeline Theatre
Irene Bermudez – Community Engagement Coordinator; Chicago Math & Science Academy
Nick Kosiek – Business owner; State Farm Insurance
Roberto Arista – Branch Manager; Byline Bank
There is currently 1 vacant seat. Commissioners must live, own property or a business within the boundaries of Clark/Morse/Glenwood SSA #24. To see a map of the boundaries click here. To apply to be a Commissioner click here. For questions contact, email@example.com.
2022 Commissioner Meetings
SSA #24 Commissioners meet monthly to discuss initiatives, review programs and budgets for SSA #24. These meetings are open to the public. Only the Mayor appointed and vetted Commissioners may make motions and vote.
Due to Covid-19, all meetings are held virtually on the first Wednesday of Feb, Apr, June, Sept and Nov at 9 a.m. There is a special meeting in July to review the budget (date TBD).
- Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81833685278 | Dial-in: 312-626-6799 | Meeting ID: 818 3368 5278 | Meetings are recorded. If you do not want to be recorded you can enter the Zoom meetings without enabling the video.
*Meeting locations, dates and times are subject to change, please check back one week prior to the meeting to verify the information.
For more information contact Rogers Park Business Alliance, 773-508-5885.