Sheridan Road Special Service Area #54
Sheridan Road Special Service Area (SSA) #54 includes Sheridan Road from Devon Avenue to Farwell Avenue. The SSA has provided programs and services in the commercial district since 2012.
- Advertising and Promotion: We develop promotions, campaigns and business retention and attraction materials.
- Business Improvement Program (BIP): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the SSA by providing financial and technical assistance to owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $5,000 on improvements made to their façade. Download the application here.
- Landscape Rebate Program: We promote beautification of the SSA by providing up to 50% of the associated costs with a maximum rebate not to exceed $500 for any landscaping planted outside the business within the Sheridan Road SSA #54 boundaries. Applications will be considered in the order in which they are received until all funding is disbursed for the fiscal year. Download the application here.
- Marketing: We market the business districts within the SSA #54 by organizing and providing funding to events and public art programs such as Summer on the Plaza and Polar Palooza.
- Outreach: We visit businesses within the SSA to provide technical assistance and ensure that business owners are aware of all the programs, services and resources available to them.
- Public Way Aesthetics: We install holiday lighting, maintain street pole banners and purchase streetscape elements, as needed.
- Public Way Maintenance: We regularly conduct field checks of the public way.
- Salud e Higiene – Programa de Rembolso: Fue creado como respuesta de emergencia al COVID-19 para aisistir a los negocios locales que enfrentan crecientes costos por material sanitario y paquetería por la nueva forma de venta de comida. Puede leer la guía y aplicar aquí.
- Small Business Improvement Fund (SBIF): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the Tax Increment Financing District by providing financial advice and technical assistance to the owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $150,000 on improvements made to their building/business.
- Tenant Retention/Attraction: We hold business attraction workshops and give presentations to recruit new businesses to the commercial corridors and support current businesses. We also provide technical assistance to businesses and property owners including on-site visits.
Jennifer Clark (Chair) – AVP of Campus and Community Planning; Loyola University
Chris Bell (Secretary) – Business owner; Flatts & Sharpe Music Co.
Tony Fox (Treasurer) – Property & business owner; The 400 Theater
Heather Hill – Resident
Nick Andersen – General Manager; Hampton Inn
Sara Blackstone Lukens – Business owner; ChiTown Magpie
There is currently 1 vacant seat. Commissioners must live, own property or a business within the boundaries of Sheridan Road SSA #54. To see a map of the boundaries click here. To apply to be a Commissioner click here. For questions contact, email@example.com.
2021 Commissioner Meetings
SSA #54 Commissioners meet monthly to discuss initiatives, review programs and budgets for SSA #54. These meetings are open to the public. Only the Mayor appointed and vetted Commissioners may make motions and vote.
Due to Covid-19, all meetings are held virtually. Meetings will be recorded. If you do not want to be recorded you can enter the Zoom meetings without enabling the video.
UPDATED DATES AND TIMES: As of July 2021 the Commission will meet on the third Tuesday of every other month until November at 2 p.m. instead of on the third Thursday of every at 9:30 a.m.
- Dates: 1/21, 3/18, 5/20, 7/15
- Updated Dates: 9/21, 11/16
- An additional meeting to discuss the 2020 Audit is scheduled for April 27th at 9 a.m.
- An additional meeting scheduled for June 22nd at 9 a.m.
- Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81407861002 | Dian-in: 312-626-6799 | Meeting ID: 81407861002
• An additional meeting to discuss the 2020 Audit is scheduled for April 27th at 9 a.m.
• Due to scheduling conflicts the May 29th meeting is rescheduled to May 27 at 9 a.m.
• An additional meeting is scheduled for June 22nd at 9 a.m.
• As of July 2021, the Commission will meet on the third Tuesday of every other month until November at 2 p.m.
• Upcoming Dates: 9/21, 11/16
Meeting locations, dates and times are subject to change, please check back one week prior to the meeting to verify the information.
For more information contact Rogers Park Business Alliance, 773-508-5885.
March 19 (virtual meeting)
April 16 (combination Commissioners and Advisory virtual meeting)
April 30 (combination Commissioners and Advisory virtual meeting)
May 21 (virtual meeting)
July 16 (virtual meeting)
August 20 (virtual meeting)
September 17 (virtual meeting)
December 3 (virtual community meeting)