Howard Street Special Service Area #19
Howard Street Special Service Area (SSA) #19 includes Howard Street from Ridge Avenue to Sheridan Road, Paulina Avenue from Rogers Avenue to Jonquil Avenue and Rogers Avenue from Greenview Avenue to Ashland Avenue and the Gateway Centre. The SSA has provided programs and services in the commercial district since 1997.
- Advertising and Promotion: We develop promotions, campaigns and business retention and attraction materials.
- Business Improvement Program (BIP): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the SSA by providing financial and technical assistance to owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $5,000 on improvements made to their façade. Download application at here.
- Outreach: We visit businesses within the SSA to provide technical assistance and ensure that business owners are aware of all the programs, services and resources available to them.
- Public Way Aesthetics: We mulch, weed and plant seasonal plantings. In addition, we install holiday lights and decorations, maintain street pole banners and purchase streetscape elements, as needed. We also run a Mural Art Initiative Program and install public art along Howard St.
- Public Way Maintenance: We regularly conduct field checks of the public way and maintain the trash cans and planters.
- Tenant Retention and Attraction: We hold business attraction workshops and give presentations to recruit new businesses to the commercial corridors and support current businesses. We also provide technical assistance to businesses and property owners including on-site visits.
- Safety: We maintain several security cameras in strategic locations throughout the corridor.
All Special Service Area Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor and determine the budget, workplan and sole service provider each year.
Carrie Sullivan (Chair) – Business owner; The Factory Theater
Charlotte Walters (Vice Chair) – Property and business owner; Lost Eras
Simone Freeman (Treasurer) – Business owner; Sol Cafe
Gale Howard (Secretary) – Resident
Meetings are held every third Wednesday of the month at The Factory Theater, 1623 W. Howard St. at 8:30 a.m.
January 15 – February 19 – March 18 – April 15 – May 20 – June 17 – July 15 – August 19 – September 16 – October 21 – November 18 December is the annual SSA meeting
** MARCH 18 meeting updates: The in-person meeting is canceled. The Commission instead will hold a virtual meeting at 8:30 a.m. To join the video call on Hangouts Meet follow this link, meet.google.com/wmq-zcmu-hav or you can join by phone 320-803-0565 (PIN: 351935351).
* Meeting locations, dates and times are subject to change, please check back one week prior to the meeting to verify information. All meetings are open to the public.