Howard Street Special Service Area #19
Howard Street Special Service Area (SSA) #19 includes Howard Street from Ridge Avenue to Sheridan Road, Paulina Avenue from Rogers Avenue to Jonquil Avenue and Rogers Avenue from Greenview Avenue to Ashland Avenue and the Gateway Centre. The SSA has provided programs and services in the commercial district since 1997.
- Advertising and Promotion: We develop promotions, campaigns and business retention and attraction materials.
- Business Improvement Program (BIP): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the SSA by providing financial and technical assistance to owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $5,000 on improvements made to their façade. Download the application here.
- Comercio en Línea y Mercadotecnia Digital – Programa de Rembolso: Fue creado como respuesta de emergencia al COVID-19 para aisistir a los negocios locales que inviertan en mercadotecnia digital y en estrategias en redes sociales. Puede leer la guía y aplicar aquí.
- E-Commerce and Digital Marketing Rebate Program: Was developed in response to the COVID-19 emergency, with a goal of supporting local businesses expenditures for digital marketing and social media strategies. Download guidelines and application here.
- Health and Sanitation Rebate Program: Was developed in response to the COVID-19 emergency, with a goal of supporting local businesses facing increased costs for sanitation supplies and takeout packaging by providing a rebate. Download guidelines and application here.
- Outreach: We visit businesses within the SSA to provide technical assistance and ensure that business owners are aware of all the programs, services and resources available to them.
- Public Way Aesthetics: We mulch, weed and plant seasonal plantings. In addition, we install holiday lights and decorations, maintain street pole banners and purchase streetscape elements, as needed. We also run a Mural Art Initiative Program and install public art along Howard St.
- Public Way Maintenance: We regularly conduct field checks of the public way and maintain the trash cans and planters.
- Salud e Higiene – Programa de Rembolso: Fue creado como respuesta de emergencia al COVID-19 para aisistir a los negocios locales que enfrentan crecientes costos por material sanitario y paquetería por la nueva forma de venta de comida. Puede leer la guía y aplicar aquí.
- Tenant Retention and Attraction: We hold business attraction workshops and give presentations to recruit new businesses to the commercial corridors and support current businesses. We also provide technical assistance to businesses and property owners including on-site visits.
- Safety: We maintain several security cameras in strategic locations throughout the corridor.
2015 SSA #19 Audit
2016-2017 SSA #19 Audit
2017-2018 SSA #19 Audit
2017 SSA #19 Service Provider Agreement
Business Improvement Program Application
Comercio en Línea y Mercadotecnia Digital – Programa de Rembolso
E-Commerce and Digital Marketing Rebate Program
Health & Sanitation Rebate Program
Salud e Higiene – Programa de Rembolso
2019 Commissioner Application
All Special Service Area Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor and determine the budget, workplan and sole service provider each year.
Meetings are held every month at The Factory Theater, 1623 W. Howard St. at 8:30 a.m.
January 15 – February 19 – March 18 – April 15 – May 13 – June 17 – July 15 – August 19 – September 16 – October 21 – November 18 December is the annual SSA meeting
- MARCH 18 meeting updates: The in-person meeting is canceled. The Commission instead will hold a virtual meeting at 8:30 a.m. Google Hangouts Meet: meet.google.com/wmq-zcmu-hav | Call-in: +1 320-803-0565 (PIN: 351935351)
- APRIL 15 – Virtual Meeting: This meeting will be a combination of the Commissioners and Advisory meetings at 8:30 a.m. Google Hangouts Meet: meet.google.com/vgb-eqak-wir | Call-in: +1 614-845-2398 (PIN: 176 357 482#
- MAY 13 – Virtual meeting: This meeting will be a combination of the Commissioners & Advisory meetings at 8:30 a.m.
Zoom Meeting: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/76268129213 (Meeting ID: 762 6812 9213)
* Meeting locations, dates and times are subject to change, please check back one week prior to the meeting to verify information. All meetings are open to the public.
Information on Advisory Meetings for the renewal process here.